Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Friday 3 December 2010

Today is International Day of People with Disability


Information on events:
Don't DIS my ABILITY (NSW)
International Day for People with Disability (National)

There is much happening today and over the next couple of weeks.  Here are just a very few highlights for t:oday.

Up, Up and Away on TV tonight
The Down Syndrome NSW documentary about the Up, Up and Away Project, launched in October 2009 is to be broadcast on Aurora TV (a Foxtel community channel) to coincide with International Day of People with Disability, tonight, Friday 3rd December, 2010, at 9.00 pm.

Ramp Up - ABC website for people with disabilities about living with a disability
This site is where you will find ABC stories, interviews and videos on the subject of disability. As you browse through the site, the links you follow will take you to stories as they appeared in their original context, whether from ABC News, a TV program or a radio interview. Please enjoy.

What is International Day for People with Disability for?
Today, in his much loved blog, Rolling Around in My Head, Dave Hingsburger encapsulates experiences of people living with a disability in a series of short anecdotes, one for each month of a year, ending with December ...

I think it is today, a day in December that we celebrate the International Day of Disabled Persons. I admit to knowing nothing of the origin of the day. I admit that I’ve not even looked it up on the computer. I will, of course, because I’m curious by nature. I decided to write this before I discovered what others thought about the day or why others created the day. I just wanted to be sure to say. Society may give us a day, but we, the disabled, have snuck through the door and past pity and preconceptions, the twin prejudices that guard access … and have taken the year. All of it. Every day.

We claim our lives as lives to be lived, fully and freely. We claim our right to independence and our natural state of interdependence. We want nothing more than what others expect. Daily.

Every. Single. Day.

No comments: