Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Saturday 26 October 2013

Weekend reading and viewing: 26th - 27th October 2013

What My Mother Knew The Moment She Met My Daughter
Ellen Stumbo, Huffington Post, 22nd October 2013
My mother always told me it was better to be smart than to be beautiful. "If you are smart, eventually you will afford to be beautiful." ... another baby girl joined our family, except this baby girl was different, she had Down syndrome. How would I be able to break the news to my mother? "It is better to be smart than to be beautiful." I knew what "smart" meant in the context of that statement, and I doubted that my daughter with an extra chromosome would meet those expectations ...

Announcing the Turn: a blog for parents of kids with disabilities
Dave Hingsburger, Rolling Around in My Head, 18th October 2013
... her son, the man I'd met as a fully confident self advocate, had died. She was grief struck. ... Many people, those she has known for most of her life, have said to her that she must be "relieved" and "it's better for him," and "now she doesn't have to worry about him," and that her "burden" has been "set down." She is astonished at what they are saying ...

Why Down Syndrome Doesn't Define My Son
Christie Taylor, Huffington Post TED Weekends, 18th October 2013
... I've seen the genius of communication at work in my life, and its power is amazing. I was introduced to this genius by the lady with the blue folder. I met her when she visited my hospital room the afternoon after my son was born. Earlier that morning, I learned my son had Down Syndrome, and my emotions were still very raw ...

How Are People with Down Syndrome?
Eliana Tardio, Living and Loving with Down Syndrome, 16th October 2013
There is a simple, strange question that we parents of children with Down syndrome don’t get asked as much as we should: How are people with Down syndrome?

This is because usually, people already have an established perception of how they are, how they look, how they behave, the things that they can do and those that they can’t ...


Lisa Morguess, Life as I Know It, 29th July, 2013
There’s a lot of talk lately about the magic of the extra chromosome that results in trisomy-21, or Down syndrome. I don’t think this is a new development by any means, but lately it just seems like a prevalent topic – and I’m not talking about misguided stereotypes held by the general public, I’m talking about parents of kids with Down syndrome ...

I Don't Care 
A behind the scenes look at a short film  after seeing the Shifting Perspectives exhibition. 

Beyond Down Syndrome
The Unknown Contributor, 9th October 2013
It is there in her face for you to see before you even learn her name, or her favorite food. Before you find out that she loves jewelry and shoes and tights and dresses and little hollow plastic balls that double as fake boobs, you already know that she has Down syndrome. The shape of her beautiful blue eyes rats her out.

None the Same as the Other: Ethical Reflections on Eradicating Down Syndrome
Guest blogger, Hans Reinders, Thin Places, 22nd October 2013
... they at least have this one extra chromosome in common, otherwise they would not be identified as people with Down syndrome, but this observation tells us next to nothing about their lives. It does not inform the debate on whether humanity would be better off without DS in any significant way ...

Ethan Saylor Advocacy Update
(US) National Down Syndrome Congress and National Down Syndrome Society, 17th October 2013

The Disability Wars: Australia's unwritten history
Donna McDonald, Ramp Up,  23rd October 2013
... The
complete history of Australia has yet to be written: it remains essentially an ableist, Anglo-Saxon history with only occasional flurries - the history wars - to disrupt the dominant narrative. Australian history continues to be a collusion of myth-making when it erases or ignores the lives and experiences of Australians with disability ...

No comments: