Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Friday 28 February 2014

Weekend reading and viewing; 1st - 2nd March 2014


How my native language and Down syndrome shifted my perspectives on privilege
Jisun Lee, Offbeat Home and Life, 18th February 2014
I recently came across a saying that uses this word: "삐딱이만 삐둘어진 세상을 제데로 볼수있다." My very, very rough translation goes something like, "Only one who stands crooked can see the true crooked nature of the world."

I've been chewing this over for a while, and I think my peeps are onto something… When we started figuring out that my son had Down syndrome, the world really did tilt for us. Or, rather, we tilted. Hard.


People like us
Dave Hingsburger, Rolling Around in My Head, 19th February 2014
... she walked along side me chatting saying, "People should listen when people with disabilities say 'no' shouldn't they? They should respect what we say." I told her that I couldn't agree more.

How ‘Special Education’ Can Help Children Who Don’t Need It
Catherine Pearlman, Speakeasy (The Wall Street Journal), 18th February 2014
Last September, when my son began second grade, he was placed in the inclusion classroom at our local elementary school. The class consisted for 12 children receiving special education services and 12 children who did not need additional help. The workload is split between two full-time teachers—one general education teacher and one whose focus is special education.
I found it strange that we were never notified of the arrangement. Then, I came to understand why ...


If I knew then what I know now
Ellen Stumbo, Finding Beauty in Brokenness, 21st February 2014
At first, having a child with special needs seemed like an impossible and daunting job. Looking back at the scared mom I was six years ago, I wish I knew then what I know now. If I could go back in time, this is what I would say…

Down Syndrome Awareness 3/21




I don't respect your (or my) intelligence
21+21+21=?, 21st February 2014
... Why does the frightening part about Down syndrome seem to boil down to what not so long ago was known as "mental retardation?"

There are many people in my life and its periphery (lucky for them way out there, lest I'd have dispatched the flying monkeys already) who have sent me articles, videos, stories, and more about what individuals with Down syndrome are capable of, what people with Down syndrome have achieved, what all will be possible regardless, in spite of, in the face of, as well as, and I want to specifically add this as a negative also,because of Down syndrome ...



No comments: