Address details


Down Syndrome NSW
Level 6/410 Church St, North Parramatta
9am-5pm Monday - Thursday
T: 9841 444


Friday 14 August 2015

Weekend reading 15th - 16th August 2015




The words I don’t need anymore 
Sipping Lemonade, 10th August 2015
I spent some time today — procrastinating (let’s call it was it is) — cleaning out the “bookmarks” in my web browser.One particular folder I came across was labeled: “Down syndrome ” ... 
Kari Wagner-Peck, A Typical Son, 4th August 2015
... Is it really a leap to consider Cenac might believe that people with Down syndrome are losers who also may not have anything to live for? Otherwise why in his altered state is he suddenly talking in a “funny voice” and believing he just developed Down syndrome? Something informed that hallucination. Those thoughts did not randomly collide, they came from somewhere in Cenac. In other words did a pot brownie free his mind?
It also squares with what most people think of individuals with Down syndrome. It is such a compelling belief that there are existential consequences reflected in the fact most fetuses detected with Down syndrome result in abortion ...
Embracing labels to shape our identities
Carly Findlay, 3rd August 2015
Labels. They’re a blessing and a curse to live with. Fat. Thin. Beautiful. Ugly. Smart. Stupid. Rich. Poor. Athletic. Lazy. Normal. Different. Disabled. Able bodied ..
... Giving myself the labels of ‘disabled’ and ‘chronically ill’ has been very empowering. I feel great sense of belonging – and that’s as big a relief as a diagnosis is. It’s given me pride. I am proud to belong to an amazing, talented, diverse, passionate community that’s committed to improving the lives of others. It’s also given me the courage to speak up and say I can’t do something because of my body’s limitations, and call out discriminatory behaviour ...
The Easy Choicelessness of the Non-Disabled
Dave Hingsburger, Rolling Around in My Head, 11th August 2015
... "I saw what you did there, you almost asked for help." She blushed and laughed, "You saw that?" I said that I had seen it and that I only noticed because sometimes I have to decide to be disabled or not. "My mom still makes my bed," she said and began to laugh, in seconds we were both howling as I understood the implication of her statement ...
Inclusive education means all children are included in every way, not just in theory
Kathy Cologon, The Conversation, 12th August 2015
Recent articles on The Conversation and in The Guardian question whether inclusive education can do more harm than good – but neither article presents examples of inclusion. Rather, they present tragic examples of exclusion that are claimed to be inclusion-not-working ...
What I See When I Look At My Daughter - Raising a Child with Special Needs
Jodi Shenal, 3rd August, 2015
Having a daughter with special needs has changed the way I see most things in this world. Aside from softening my heart and strengthening my spirit, she has given me the gift to see past life’s everyday imperfections. The trivial things that before could destroy a perfectly good day, are now easily shaken off and insignificant. Since she came along, I’ve begun to see a multitude of things in a different light ... 
I wish I could convey to her and to the world what I see when I look at my daughter ...





Hotel training makes room for learning disabled people at work
Nicola Slawson, The Guardian (UK), 4th August 2015
From the familiar purple decor to the signage encouraging guests to re-use their towels, if you stepped into the immaculate bedroom at Derwen College, you’d be forgiven for thinking you were actually in one of the thousands of Premier Inn hotels up and down the UK. In fact it is a fully functioning replica bedroom that has been cleaned and prepared by learning disabled students ...








No comments: